Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Monday in Sengawa

Monday was my first full day here. The weather was cooler than California with some overcast skies, a little sun and a high temperature of about 62F.

Fumiko and I walked a couple of blocks from her apartment over to the shopping area - a maze of narrow streets lined with grocery stores, bakeries, open air produce, fish and meat vendors, noodle shops and 100 yen stores. One hundred yen stores are like the Dollar Tree, only in Sengawa there seems to be one on every other block. The current exchange rate is about 100 yen to a dollar making the math easy for me. Guess where I'm buying souvenirs for you...heh!

A nice vendor selling sea food products gave free samples to Fumiko and I. Smart move. We bought a big bag of sea kelp and another of tiny dried shrimp. Fumiko used them to make a great noodle soup for lunch.

Of course I needed to buy some beer to go with all of the good food we would be eating. Beer is not inexpensive over here. A six pack of Kirin (everyday lager) is 1280 yen - about $13 - at the grocery store. I can buy the same thing at Trader Joe's for half as much. Here is what ten dollars worth of beer looks like when you buy individual cans.

3 comments:

Henry Calanchini said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

vSo which on is your favorite?

Anonymous said...

Steph, I like the Yebisu. They are an old brewery but only seem to have a small presence here. They make a good dark beer and a nice IPA style beer as well. Out of the big three (Kirin, Asahi and Saporro) I like Saporro the best. Fumiko says that is good since she is shooting a commercial for a Saporro energy drink. Her commercial will play on the video monitors inside the subway trains. It should be seen by millions!