Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cherry Blossoms

This is just a quickie post before our way-delayed departure for Osaka because I was up until 3:45 this morning blogging. Fortunately the onsen is open until 11 PM.

UPDATE: I didn't get the post off before we left. Also, because of the late start we missed the onsen and all of the other carefully made plans Fumiko had for Friday. I was in the doghouse for awhile but I think I'm in the clear now. Here is the cherry blossom post.

The cherry blossoms are in full bloom around Tokyo. They have been opening a little more each day starting last weekend. Yesterday they were noticeable almost everywhere I went. The Japanese people love the cherry blossoms. They have festivals and all sorts of special foods and rituals for this time of the year. The blossoms are only on the trees for a week and if it rains they are gone. For that reason people have parties under the trees and drink beer and sake. They are essentially celebrating the immediateness of life. The cherry blossoms are a metaphor for our short lives and how we should appreciate each moment. So, live in the moment! Here are some of the cherry blossoms:


No comments: